2017 Summer Camp – Washington: Friendship Recreation Center
Weekly Camps: June 5th to Labor Day
9:00 – 3:00 Monday to Friday
Now in our 25th year in AU Park, this camp is our flagship and original camp. Both beginners and experienced ball players are welcome and will be challenged, encouraged and instructed. Players can expect a safe, fun and instructive environment featuring two games a day. Our staff, comprised mostly of camp alums, make sure every player age 4 to 12 gets at least 100 swings in batting practice per day. Our Site Director, Dan Thorner is now in his 21st year and works closely with Coach McCarthy day to day to ensure the safest, highest quality program possible. We want every player working on volume repetition- which simply means teach the skill then get round after round of ground balls, fly balls or batting practice. In a typical day, campers can expect a minimum of 75 to 100 ground balls and fly balls. Most camps over teach and under volume. Our approach takes more coaches and equipment, but we feel it’s the best way. We feature two games per day and we group by age not ability. This develops peer leaders and allows for baseball and social growth with teammates the same age.
* Special Note: As many of you know, Friendship Recreation Center is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation which is due to be completed in early June.
- Campers aged 4 and 5 are in dedicated groups specializing in ball skills and age-appropriate drills.
- We have use of American University’s field directly adjacent to Friendship for the majority of the summer. Our 10, 11 and 12’s will use this space for a more advanced full day workout featuring three fields and two games a day.
- Full pitching bullpens for any camper who wants to polish his or her technique and learn new skills.
- Two batting cages with both live and machine batting practice. Overseen by current college players, campers can spend as much time hitting as they like during camp.
Finally, we ask our campers to help each day with field grooming (we have hundreds of rakes, four drag mats and four hoses) and trash patrol. Friendship Recreation Center is the cleanest and best groomed park in the city.
Boys and Girls Ages 4-12
June 5th to September 1st (13 weeks)
- Week 1: June 5th to June 9th
- Week 2: June 12th to June 16th
- Week 3: June 19th to June 23rd
- Week 4: June 26th to June 30th
- Week 5: July 3rd to July 7th (Note: We WILL have camp on July 4th)
- Week 6: July 10th to July 14th
- Week 7: July 17th to July 21st
- Week 8: July 24th to July 28th
- Week 9: July 31st to August 4th
- Week 10: August 7th to August 11th
- Week 11: August 14th to August 18th
- Week 12: August 21st to August 25th
- Week 13: August 28th to September 1st
- Half Day: 9:00am to 11:30am
- Full Day: 9:00am to 3:00pm
COSTS (per week):
- Single Child (Full-day): $325.00
- Single Child (Half-day): $175.00
- Sibling Discount: 50% off
- Additional Sibling: FREE
- Aftercare Option: (3:00 pm to 6:00 pm) $150.00
- Daily Drop-in: $80 for Full-day/$45 for half-day
- Camper Clothing: Campers should wear cleats or sneakers and are encouraged to wear baseball pants. Each camper will get a T shirt.
- July 4th Holiday: Camp will be open on July 4th.
- Rain Policy: We hold camp in the event of rain. We have shelter at each location.
We have worked hard to make our Aftercare program as dynamic, fun and organized as possible. This program will be overseen by dedicated and experienced staff leaders.
- 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm $150 for the week includes siblings (Daily rate is $30 per day and can be paid at camp.)
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION NOTES:
- Be sure to pay in order to complete your registration. Registration is NOT considered complete until PAYMENT HAS BEEN PROCESSED.
Friendship Park Recreation Center
4500 Van Ness Street, NW
Washington, DC 20016
- Ages: Boys and girls - ages 4-12
- Dates: Weekly camps starting June 5th
- Times: Full-day 9:00 am to 3:00 pm/Half-day 9:00 am to 11:30 pm
- Aftercare option: 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Single Child Full-day: $325.00 per week
- Single Child Half-day: $175.00 per week
- Sibling Discount: Second child (sibling) is 50% off
- Family Discount: Additional siblings are FREE
- Aftercare option: $150.00 per week
- Daily drop-in: Full-day: $80/Half-day: $45