2020 Family Trip to the Dominican Republic
February 17-22, 2020
2020 Dominican Republic Family Trip is Full!
No additional registrations can be accepted.
I want to simplify this years trip and make this annual experience more sustainable.
The two main goals are to have your family join us for six days of baseball in Consuelo and raise some money for the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception programs of social uplift there.
Julia Hiemstra (UVM ’19), current Director of HRBC Friendship, is spending this school year living in Consuelo working with the Sisters, teaching and coaching. She will be planning the week for you and will ensure your visit is safe and enjoyable. I will also ask a few of my top coaching friends to come down and volunteer to coach with me.
Here’s the way forward: We will welcome 20-25 families for the six days. There is no registration fee. Just get to the DR. Be here. The Hodelpa Garden Suites in Juan Dolio has given us the following rates (that is lower than last year):
- Sgl USD71.00+taxes
- Dbl USD76.00+taxes
- Children from 6 to 12 years USD38.00+taxes.
The day will consist of a 1:30pm departure from the lobby of the hotel to Consuelo and 5:30pm return from Consuelo. We will have five solid afternoons of drills and good games with full hustle alongside our Dominican ball playing hosts. We will be hosted again at Manny Acta’s fields. All our past Dominican coaches will be there.
- Julia will make sure Lucas Soriano has his drivers at the hotel rides to and from Consuelo at a set time. Parents should expect to pay him directly in cash (Dollars or Pesos) for either the week or day. We will let you know the exact prices as the trip approaches (a very reasonable per person price).
- I am asking each family contribute a $500 donation directly to the Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception before we arrive. Checks should be made to: The Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception and mailed to: Director of Finance, GSIC 700 Mackay Street, Pembroke ON, Canada, K8A 1G6.
- Julia will also be giving a few walking tours of the schools and community programs during the week for anyone interested.
- Julia will be releasing a complete day to day schedule to all participants a month before the trip.
- We will also return to play our hosts in San Pedro de Macorís one afternoon. Saturday will be a full day doubleheader in Consuelo.
- If you have already registered – Julia can help you with any details and questions: her email is email@example.com.
I appreciate your support of the Grey Sisters and the Consuelo community. I was invited there by the Sisters over 20 years ago to work with them and have extended that invitation to over 500 North American families and coaches since. Many families have told me how meaningful and enjoyable their visit was.
Another note- two of our young ballplayers from past trips played in the Major Leagues this year: Matt Bowman (Princeton & Cincinnati Reds) and Danny Hultzen (UVA & Chicago Cubs). And the financial support to the Sisters makes an important local impact. Muchas gracias.
All the best.